Frequently Asked Questions
AOD offers life-changing job-training scholarships are for various programs selected by AOD that can be completed in two years or less at local area schools such as J.F. Drake State Technical and Community College (Huntsville, AL), Calhoun Community College (Huntsville, AL and Decatur, AL), and Global Tech Institute (Decatur, AL). Selected programs include Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN), Welding, Engineering Grahics (drafting), and more.
Scholarship applicants must meet the following basic eligibility requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Low-income (income as shown by last tax return and recent paycheck (if available) will be compared to the Health and Human Services Poverty Guidelines)
- Must possess a current drivers license (not a learners permit)
- Must have an active bank account
AOD recruits applicants by publicity on its website and Facebook page and by publicizing the application within the J.F. Drake State and Calhoun Community College Financial Aid offices. AOD also distributes applications to various churches, clergy, and other organizations in the Huntsville area such as:
- Alabama Non-Violent Offender Organization
- The Care Center
- Choose Life of North Alabama
- Christian Womens’ Job Corps
- Downtown Rescue Mission
- First Stop
- Harvest Youth Club
- Huntsville Housing Authority
- Launch Program
- Lincoln Village Ministries
- Village of Promise
Scholarships are awarded in a four-step selection process:
- Review paper applications
- Interview one or more applicants
- Conduct criminal background check for selected finalists
- Final Selection(s) based on funds available and backgro und check results for selected finalists
AOD welcomes donations from individuals, churches, businesses, and foundations. AOD does not seek or receive any government / taxpayer funding. AOD also conduct fundraising events such as yard sales, sale of Huntsville Havoc tickets, sale of tickets to the Belk's Charity Sale, etc. The AOD board funds administrative expenses so that 100% of external donations are applied to program expenses.
AOD commits to each scholarship recipient from selection through program completion and employment. AOD offers each interviewee a bible. As required, AOD also helps with tutoring, interview coaching, resume preparation, job search, and funds attendance to Financial Peace University. Financial Peace University is a 9-week personal finance course offered throughout the year at local churches.
AOD is motivated by the love and teachings of Jesus Christ to serve others. Our statement of faith is listed on this site under About Us. AOD does not have ties to any denomination or church. Each of AOD's six board of directors attends a different church. AOD does not apply any religious criteria to any it serves or to any who seek a scholarship.